BAJS is pleased to announce that the 2021 BAJS Book Prize competition is now open. The book prize initiative was launched by BAJS in 2018 to recognise and promote outstanding scholarship in the field of Jewish Studies. The prize was last year shared by Prof Sacha Stern and Dr Lindsey Askin.
Each year BAJS will award a prize of £1000 for the best monograph submitted, with the focus alternating between books on the ancient to medieval period and early modern to modern period. For the 2021 prize we invite submissions focused on topics relating to the early modern to modern period. The winner will be announced at the annual BAJS conference in July 2021.
- Subject matter: Books in any area of academic Jewish Studies related to the early modern to modern period are eligible for consideration.
- Eligibility: Submissions must have been completed by scholars based at UK or Irish universities, or based on work substantially undertaken at UK or Irish universities. All scholars are eligible to submit books, but if not already members of BAJS they will be expected to join the association during the review period.
- Nominations: Those eligible may submit their books for consideration, or be nominated by a publisher, or be nominated by another member of BAJS.
- Publication date: Only volumes with a copyright date of 2019 or after are eligible.
- Type of volume: Only monographs are accepted, including translations and commentaries of sources. Reference works and edited volumes will not be considered.
Please notify the Chair of the BAJS Book Prize Committee, Dr David Tollerton (firstname.lastname@example.org), of your intention to submit a monograph for the prize. Your intention to submit message should include the following information:
- Contact details (name, email and postal address)
- Confirmation of eligibility
- Details of the publication, including title, publisher and copyright date
You will need to mail three copies of your monograph to the Chair of the Book Prize Committee (mailing details will be confirmed following your intention to submit message).
The deadline for sending an intention to submit message is 15 February 2021. All volumes must be received by 15 March 2021 or the submission will become ineligible.